Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Lau Lau Beach







I have decided to upload some photos of the beach closest to our house today. It is called Lau Lau Beach. It might be my favorite because there is never anyone there! It feels so private, almost like it is our family's secret spot. It is however a challenging beach to do much swimming on because you have to get out past the reef and then it drops off into 40 to 50 feet of water. When Matt and the boys went out there, they saw big fish deep down and also saw a large sea turtle. The shoreline and shallows remind me a little bit of a Wisconsin Lake in that it has large smooth rocks and seaweed. However, when you look a bit closer you can see that the shallows are teeming with sea life. Kierik almost stepped on a little flounder that Matt then tried to catch with his hands. There are also many bright blue fish and hermit crabs of all sizes. Several of these hermit crabs have been temporary pets. A few nights ago, I decided that we should all go down to the beach to exchange out our current pets for some new hermit crabs and also see what we could see in the shallows at night with our Dive flashlight that can be submerged in the water. Well, it was rainy and Sylvie kept splashing the water when we would try looking for creatures. I started to get complaints about my "Bright" idea when the night took an unexpected turn. The boys discoved these HUGE marine toads hopping around everywhere up on the shore. Then the night got much more exciting. Sylvie was absolutely beside herself with excitment! She was signing FROG FROG FROG and squealing with delight. I couldn't stop laughing. She so desperately wanted to hold one but as we didn't have hand sanitizer and Iknew her hands would end up in her mouth, I denied her emphatic requests. We will have to go back again another night armed with Purell so she can hold one.



Enjoy the photos of Lau Lau Beach!









3 comments:

  1. That is the cutest picture of Sylvie - just the picture of sheer joy!
    Grandma Alice

    P.S. You boys are cute too! (Now about those toads....careful!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your posts and photos. They stir nostalgia of when I was nine, searching at night for reef critters in front of my uncle's house on Oahu's north shore. Watch out for morey eel and scorpion fish, but I still have vivid memories of what I saw and learned.

    ReplyDelete